How does red light therapy work?
Red light therapy works by acting on the “power plant” in your body’s cells called mitochondria. With more energy, other cells can do their work more efficiently, such as repairing skin, boosting new cell growth, and enhancing skin rejuvenation. More specifically, certain cells absorb light wavelengths and are stimulated to work.
Red light therapy may work in skin health to:
- Stimulate collagen production, which gives skin its structure, strength and elasticity.
- Increase fibroblast production, which makes collagen. Collagen is a component of connective tissue that builds skin.
- Increase blood circulation to the tissue.
- Reduce inflammation in cells.
What skin conditions does red light therapy treat?
Red light therapy is promoted as a treatment for some common skin conditions, including to:
- Improve wound healing.
- Reduce stretch marks.
- Reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots.
- Improve facial texture.
- Improve psoriasis, rosacea and eczema.
- Improve scars.
- Improve sun-damaged skin.
- Improve acne.
Is red light therapy safe?
Red light therapy is safe and is not associated with any side effects, at least if used short-term and as directed. This therapy is not toxic, not invasive, and not as harsh as some topical skin treatments. Unlike the cancer-causing ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun or tanning booths, RLT doesn’t use this type of light.
How long do led light therapy results last?
Each treatment session lasts 20-30 minutes, and roughly 10 treatments are needed for long-term results. Results can last for several months, but repeated treatments may be necessary for maintenance.
- $25 for one, 30-minute session
- $65 for package of 3 sessions
- $115 for package of 6 sessions